For Geotechnical Engineering contact:
Geotechnical engineering has been one of OTO’s areas of expertise since our founding. Since 2005, we have performed geotechnical engineering investigations on more than 100 projects. Our clients include property owners, architects, other engineers, municipal development agencies, insurance companies and contractors.
Our geotechnical engineering services have included studies for schools, hospitals, commercial buildings and industrial developments, contractor support services (including the design of earth support and construction dewatering systems), and the installation and monitoring of construction instrumentation systems.
One aspect of our geotechnical engineering investigations includes dam inspections.
We frequently provide geotechnical engineering services associated with environmental cleanup projects, including the design of temporary support systems, and the design and construction documentation of landfill caps and engineered barriers.
OTO has managed geotechnical engineering investigations, as well as design and construction, for numerous projects in Western and Central Massachusetts. These projects include:
- Yankee Candle Office Complex and Distribution Warehouse
- Walter Street Parking Garage, Baystate Medical Center
- Superman Roller Coaster, Six Flags New England
- Hilton Garden Hotel, Basketball Hall of Fame
- New Dormitory, Springfield College
- Wilbraham Municipal Landfill Closure
- Landfill Cap Design for City of Springfield Park
- Five Schools, Gateway Regional School District
- Springfield’s Balliet Elementary & Van Sickle Middle School
- Geotechnical Instrumentation for Goodnough Dike
- Repair Project, Quabbin Reservoir
- Sullivan Public Safety Complex
- New Chicopee Library
These geotechnical engineering projects involved a wide range of soil conditions, including loose sands, Connecticut River varved clays, organic peat, glacial till and bedrock. Our specific design experience includes the design of shallow foundation systems, the design and installation monitoring of deep foundations (including the evaluation of pile test results), seismic design, basements and retaining walls, pavements, and earthwork and construction considerations. We have performed geotechnical evaluations and developed repair recommendations for building settlement, slope instability and pavement failures.